Pension Insider
By David Austin
November 14, 2018                   


The following two programs are designed to help veterans save money, and time.  


1.  The purpose of the Combat-Injured Veterans Tax Fairness Act allows for veterans who suffered combat injuries and who separated from the military under Honorable conditions, tax breaks.  These veterans aren't taxed on their lump sum disability benefits, or severance payments that they may receive. For veterans who receive lump sum benefits after January 17, 1991, they're allowed additional time to claim a credit and refund on those taxes that they may have had in the past.


2.  The Post 9/11 G-I Bill is an education benefit for active duty service members and veterans, who served in active duty after September 10, 2001. Those veterans are eligible to collect, if they served 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, or were Honorably discharged from active duty for a service-related disability and served at least 30 days continuously after September 10, 2001. The Post 9/11 G-I Bill is not taxable, and does not need to be declared as part of a veterans income.












How To Track Your Claim Online


This versatile VA portal allows access to your disability claim or appeal information by signing in with your DS Logon, MyHealtheVet, or account. When you gain access to the portal you can click on a link that will allow access to one of these accounts (i.e., DS Logon, MyHealthVet or Claims and appeals that can be tracked includes disability compensation, veteran or survivor pension benefits, special monthly compensation, dependency and indemnity compensation, burial allowance, status of claims for VA health care, GI Bill or other education benefits, vocational rehabilitation and employment claims, home loan Certificate of Eligibility, Specially Adapted Housing or Special Housing Adaptation grant, life insurance and a pre-need determination of eligibility to be buried in a VA national cemetery.

If you have trouble gaining access to the VA portal contact your Veterans Service Officer (VSO) or veterans representative who can help you access the portal.

Those That


12 | 3 | 45 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 910 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15Next>>


Complete Form To Gain Access To VA Portal

Thousands of Veterans Are Eligible To Have Debt Erased And Don't Realize It


Unfortunately, thousands of disabled veterans who are eligible for student loan forgiveness are still paying big bucks each month to lenders.  Most veterans are paying on loans they will never pay off.   Never!


According to several news outlets, and the website belonging to the U.S. Department of Education, it reports they have identified more than 41,000 veterans who qualify to have their student loan debt canceled through what is called a "Total & Permanent Disability Discharge."


To date, more than 30,000 disabled veterans are in default of their student loans, and only 8,800 have applied for the student loan forgiveness program.


In the meantime, the U.S. Department of Education continues to seek repayment on more than $1 billion in federal student loans from tens of thousands of severely disabled veterans who have been deemed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) unable to work and who are eligible for student loan forgiveness.


Disabled Veterans With Federal Student Loan Debt:

  • The U.S. Department of Education and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) have worked together to identify veterans eligible for student loan debt cancellation program.
  • All veterans identified for loan forgiveness were sent letters notifying them of their eligibility.  The letters come from the student loan servicer Nelnet as well as the U.S. Department of Education.
  • If you haven't received the eligibility letter, the U.S. Department of Education will assists eligible veterans with the paperwork and how to apply for student loan forgiveness program.


Contact your local Veterans Affairs Medical Center and ask for the Education Department and a representative will assist you.  Or, contact your Veterans Service Officer (VSO) or veteran’s representative for assistance with the program.

New Disabled Veteran Placard

Starting January 1, 2019, Oregon veterans who qualify for a disabled parking permit and have a service-connected disability that is VA-rated at 50% or greater can apply for the new Oregon Wounded Warrior parking placard from the Oregon Department of Transportation’s Driver and Motor Vehicles division (DMV).

Veterans who do not already have a disabled parking placard but who meet the qualifications may also apply for the Oregon Wounded Warrior placard. They must fill out Form 735-265 and have their physician sign and confirm that they are eligible for the handicap placard. They must also submit a copy of their VA benefit summary letter and DD Form 214.


The application can be submitted by mail to DMV Headquarters at 1905 Lana Ave. NE, Salem, OR  97314. It can also be turned in at any DMV field office.


Qualifying veterans will receive a disabled parking placard or decal with the “Oregon Wounded Warrior” sticker affixed to it.


DMV-related questions may be directed to 503-945-5000 or 503-299-9999 (Portland Metro Area).