Those That


New Jersey State Benefits

Education Benefits for New Jersey Veterans       


High School Diplomas for Veterans

The New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMAVA) and the Department of Education jointly launched a program October 5, 2000 to honor World War II era veterans who left school to join the military and never received a high school diploma. Known as Operation Recognition, the program will award a state-endorsed high school diploma to any New Jersey veteran who left a New Jersey high school to enter military service during World War II. Because of the overwhelming success of this program, The Adjutant General and the Commissioner of Education are expanding the program to include veterans from the Korean and Vietnam wars. Programs similar to Operation Recognition have been established in other states including New York, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, Wisconsin and West Virginia.


New Jersey veterans who are:

  • Current New Jersey resident.
  • Left a New Jersey high school directly to join the military between:

>>September 16, 1940 - December 31, 1946

>>June 23, 1950 - January 31, 1955
>>December 31, 1960 - May 7, 1975.


  • Discharged honorably or under honorable conditions.
  • All branches of service including Merchant Marine and Coast Guard are eligible.
  • Veterans who have since earned a GED are still eligible.
  • Diplomas may also be issued posthumously. Surviving family members of eligible veterans are encouraged to apply.     











Details - Paperwork needed.

  • A copy of your DD-214 or discharge papers, do NOT send originals!
  • Name and address of the high school attended.
  • The year you would have graduated.
  • Your name, address and daytime phone.        


Send your request to:

Operation Recognition
New Jersey Department of Military & Veterans Affairs
P.O. Box 340
Trenton, NJ 08625-0340


For more information call 609-530-6854.


POW and MIA Tuition Benefits

Free undergraduate college tuition is available to any child born or adopted before, during or after the period of time his or her parent was officially declared a prisoner of war (POW) or person missing in action (MIA) after Jan. 1, 1960. The POW-MIA must have been a New Jersey resident at the time he or she entered the service or whose official residence is in New Jersey. The child must attend either a public or private institution in New Jersey. A copy of DD- 1300 must be furnished with the application.         












War Orphans Tuition Assistance

Children of those service personnel who died while in the military or due to service-connected disabilities, or who are officially listed as missing in action by the U.S. Dept. of Defense may claim $500 per year for four years of college or equivalent training. To qualify, the child must be a resident of New Jersey for at least one year immediately preceding the filing of the application and be between the ages of 16 and 21 at the time of application. The veteran must have been a state resident.       


Vietnam Veterans Tuition Credit Program

The Vietnam Veterans Tuition Credit Program provides additional education benefits to veterans eligible for federally funded education programs and who served on active duty from December 31, 1960 to May 7, 1975 and who were legal residents of New Jersey at the time of induction into the Armed Forces or at the time of discharge from active service or for a period not less than one year prior to making application. The amount of the award is $400 annually or $200 per semester for full-time attendance and $100 per semester for part time. For further information contact your school official in charge of veteran's affairs or by calling New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs at 609-530-6854. Deadlines for applying are October 1 and March 1.


Professional Licenses

License to Vend - Honorably discharged veterans may obtain a no-fee license to vend any goods, wares or merchandise, or solicit trade within the state (NJSA 45:24-9). Licenses are procured from the county clerks office (NJSA 45:24-10) and regulated by municipalities. Contact your county clerk for an application.      


Vendors must also register with the N.J. Division of Taxation, and collect and remit sales tax on required items.     


Contact the Division of Taxation for more information. Food vendors must also comply with state and local health licensing requirements.


No Fee Automobile Registration      


The veteran must be 100 percent disabled and:

  • also be eligible for the automobile financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).    


In addition, the veteran must have sustained the following injuries incurred or aggravated during active military service:


(1) loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet

(2) loss or permanent loss of use of one or both hands
(3) permanent impairment of vision of both eyes to a prescribed degree. Veterans with best-corrected vision no better than 20/200 or less or field defect of 20 degrees or less are considered eligible.     

12 | 3Next>>